Wednesday, July 09, 2008


Dream Jobs We Want To Have

It’s interesting how all of us have a dream job: That one job that we long for, but we just can’t manage to get it because of many reasons.

Maybe we have a family to support and we can’t chase our dreams. Or our dream job isn’t within our financial range. But maybe we just don’t think we can even do our dream job. That’s the case for me for a few of my dream jobs.

I have a few dream jobs that I gave up chasing, like being a paleontologist. As a kid, I loved dinosaurs, but what little boy didn’t? Who didn’t go in their backyards and got dirty as they dug huge holes in their parents’ garden in search of a tooth from a T-Rex? And seeing them on the big screen just made it all the more appealing.

But then I realized being a paleontologist may not be the best career move for me. Namely, it’s all the names. Sure, we can all pronounce Tyrannosaurus Rex, triceratops and stegosaurus. But paleontologists decided to get carried away with some of these names, such as naashoibitosaurus, phuwiangosaurus, or zhejiangosaurus.

It’s as if they intentionally created hard to pronounce names to purposely confuse people, like they belong to a special fraternity of selected scholars. And who wants a job trying to come up with names that are just as long as, and even more difficult to say, than an Italian last name?

Besides, I wouldn’t be able to remember which name goes to which dinosaur. I have two small children of my own, who are nowhere near a million years old and they talk to me nonstop and I still call them the wrong name at least once a day. And what’s worse is that my 2-year-old daughter is starting to think that her name is Nicholas.

Another dream job was to be an astronaut. Ever since I learned that my grandmother’s brother was an engineer and actually worked with Neil Armstrong on how to work the Apollo 11, I was hooked into space exploration. But while I was speaking with my great uncle one day while I was a kid, he told me that there is no artificial gravity on the space shuttles.

That brought my dreams of being the next Capt. James T. Kirk crashing down, because I got car sick on Earth, so having my stomach flipping around in zero gravity was not my idea of a good career move. Something about constantly throwing up in my space helmet while trying to explore the Moon or Mars made me lose my taste for astro adventure.

So now I’m content with chasing a more realistic dream that I can do: Indoor sky diving instructor.

Please share your dream job with the readers in the comments section.